This article may contain affiliate links. You can see our disclaimer here.
This poke bowl uses all raw ingredients (no cooking!) to create a protein packed salad that’s fresh and ultimately satisfying. Thinking back on the time I spent in Maui over 10 years ago had me longing for this traditional dish. In Hawaii, you can find prepared poke in most convenience stores. It makes for a great snack to take on the go.
- 8 ounce Sashimi grade Tuna
- 2-4 teaspoons wasabi, tastes vary as do variety purchased (paste vs powder)
- 1 inch ginger root, finely grated using a Microplane
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, extra to garnish
- 1-2 finely chopped green onions, extra to garnish
- 1 small avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 jalapeno finely grated with a Microplane, optional, with or without seeds
- ½ lime, about 2 teaspoons
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and seeded (see cutting notes)
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
Combine wasabi, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, green onion and sesame seeds in a small jar and shake well. Add sesame oil and shake until combined.
- Cut frozen tuna steak into bite-sized cubes, starting by cutting the fillet lengthwise into two skinny filets. Then cut both horizontal sections into cubes.
- Place ahi tuna in a bowl, add the wasabi dressing and toss. Refrigerate for 30 – 90 minutes. While the tuna marinates, create the cucumber salad and avocado dressing.
In a large bowl, mash avocado cubes with a fork or mortar and pestle.
Add lime juice slowly to make a smooth base. Once combined, grate jalapeno into the bowl and mix.
- Stir in olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. If needed, add water to desired consistency.
Cut the cucumber using a spiralizer, julienne, or mandolin to create long strips.
- Sprinkle the cucumber with salt to release extra moisture, let sit 5 min and pat dry.
- Using a mandolin, cut the carrot and bell pepper into skinny, long strips. Toss veggies with the Salad Dressing.
- Divide the cucumber salad among two bowls and top with the Poke. Add sesame seeds and green onion to garnish.